Some of the notable headlines (highlights added):
- At CNNMoney: Stocks rebound after Market Meltdown. The lead paragraph begins, "Stocks recovered from the previous session's brutal selloff,..."
- At The Wall Street Journal: Lead quotes on page one of the Journal's website.
- "The global markets plunge in stocks..."
- U.S. stocks revived from a major selloff..."
- At the Cincinnati Enquirer: Dow's worst day in years. China sell-off sparks 416-point plunge.
Some of the headlines after Black Monday:
- Stocks Plunge 508 Amid Panicky Selling, Wall Street Journal, 10/20/87
- Money Managers Trying to Form New Strategies After Market Rout, Wall Street Journal, 10/20/87
- How the Bull Crashed Into Reality, BusinessWeek, 11/2/87
This market has been one that has moved higher with very little resistance. A pullback or consolidation would be a healthy one. A number of key factors will determine the future direction of the market, the economy being an important one.
The magnitude of the point declines in the Dow may seem large, but it is the percentage movements that really count.